|Calas (Rice Balls)|
|Serves 4 - 6|
- 2 cups cooked rice, cooled
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 to 1 cup flour, just to make a good batter
- oil for deep frying
- confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine cooked rice, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and baking powder.
- Add just enough flour to hold batter together.
- It should drop from a spoon and stay together.
- Heat oil in the deep fryer to 365°.
- Drop batter by heaping teaspoonfuls into the hot oil.
- Fry in small batches until golden brown and crisp, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels and generously sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
|Recipes for TourLouisiana.com provided|
exclusively by Louisiana Cookin' magazine.
Click here for more information.
Return to Recipe List